Monday, September 26, 2022

Raising Bobby Calves by Harrison

 

Raising Bobby Calves

By Harrison

Diary Entry: 6/9/2022

At the moment I'm saving up for a new motorbike that costs around 6 to $10,000.   The bike I would like is a 150 two-stroke or an 85 two-stroke.  To make this much money I'm rearing 12 Bobby calves.

 

I'm picking up 12 Angus dairy cross calves that cost $60 each. So the total cost is   $720.   I will keep the calves for 9 months and sell them.

I will be going to Collingwood to pick up the calves with the trailer and the crate. We will drop the calves down near the covered yards by the Woolshed. 

 

When we get the calves home, we will unload the calves (who will be very hungry)and put them in their pens.  Mum will mix the milk powder into the milk.   I will grab a bucket to fill up their muesli and water and sort their milk feeders to get the calves started.

 

 

Diary Entry: 13/09/22

The calves have been at our place for a month, and I've noticed that they are growing quite a bit. Every day we feed the calves two times.  Each morning and evening the calves get 2 and a half  litres of milk.  We also give them muesli and nuts. They play around in a little paddock behind the shed enjoying themselves.  The calves have a water trough. 



 

 

Diary Entry:20/09/2022

I weighed my calves last weekend, they all weighed

about 40-60kg which is a good weight. They have

almost doubled their weight.

We are hoping to sell them at 200-250kg.

It will take about 9 months for them to get to this weight.

Soon they will be going to one day feeds in the morning

and muesli and nuts at night.

We will wean the calves at 80 kgs but still

feed them nuts and muesli. 

 

I am hoping to make enough profit through

rearing the calves to buy my motorbike. 

I’ll have to take off the costs of milk powder

and muesli and nuts. 

Luckily, I get the grazing for free. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment